The century of the Daughters of God’s Love from the Province of God’s Providence


The Congregation of the Daughters of God's Love, on October 11th with a solemn Eucharist in the cathedral which was led by the Archbishop of Zagreb cardinal Josip Bozanić, and the festive academy in the Vijenac Hall, celebrated 100th anniversary of the founding of their Province of Divine Providence.

In concelebration with bishop of Bjelovar-Križevci Vjekoslav Huzjak, Bishop of Sisak Vlado Košić and Apostolic Warden of the Diocese of Varaždin, Josip Mrzljak and 40 other priests, a solemn Eucharistic celebration of the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Province of God’s Providence was led by the Archbishop of Zagreb, cardinal Josip Bozanić.

Within the Academy there was a stage presentation of the history of the Province, directed by sister M. Pia Herman and musical performances by the Allegro choir from Križevci, the dance group Hands for Peace from the Catholic School Center in Sarajevo, the choir of sisters from Albania and Kosovo, and the choir of sisters and candidates from Zagreb .

Awards and prizes were presented for the best works at the Art Contest, which were exhibited in the lobby of the Archdiocese’ Pastoral Institute. Among the younger ones, the best was Gabrijela Jonjić from Vitez, while the older ones were Ema Požgaj from St. Elijah (Varaždin).

The superior sister of the Society, sister Maria Dulce Adams, addressed those present. “Responding to the invitation of Archbishop Josip Stadler, mother Franziska felt that she was responding to the prompting of the Spirit and gave herself to the guidance of the providence of God, which has since steadily governed and shaped the life of this province through 100 years of its rich and burdensome history”, said the superior sister.

During the solemn academy greetings were sent by video message by sisters from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, England, Italy, USA, Albania, Uganda, Brazil, Ecuador and Bolivia.

The celebration continued on October 12th with the exhibition of printed editions of the Congregation at the Spiritual Centre in Granešina, and the unveiling of a memorial plaque on the building of the former Stjepanovac Monastery in Legrad.

Let us remind; the sisters came to Sarajevo in 1882. With the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the Province of Providence of God was created, and when the Communists took it all away in 1949., the seat of the province, which now has 243 members, moved to Zagreb. Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina are located in the Province of God's Providence, together with Albania, Kosovo, Germany and Switzerland. The Provincial House is in the House of Our Lady of Lourdes in Zagreb.

The congregation continues to expand today, with more recent mission stations open in Bolivia and Ecuador (1992.), Uganda (1998.), Ukraine (2004.) and Argentina (2012.).